Winter was coming, and along with it came the usual horde of cough remedies vying for attention. Our challenge was to help Prospan, a natural cough medicine, cut through the clutter of brands over winter – but on a tiny budget. So instead of simply saying we were the best, like all our competitors, we had to engage healthcare professionals and mums (the primary caregivers) with a completely original approach.
Through our qualitative research and analysis of online search patterns, we discovered that huge pharma budgets weren’t our main competition – apathy was the enemy. We identified that healthcare professionals and mums aren’t often compelled to treat a cough with medicine as they think that, in most instances, the child will recover from a cough over time. This led to our core creative idea of ‘don’t ignore a cough’.
For our programmatic and social buy, instead of simply targeting all mums, we looked to pioneer the science behind predicting a cough – hyper-targeting only mums who were primed to take action. To do this, we overlayed first party data with social, temperature, pollution and Medicare data building the world’s first cough simulator. Our in real-time cough predictions then dictated when media budgets should be turned on…and off.
Since launch, click-through rates have surged by over 54%, with cost per click dropping by 67% – drastically reducing media costs and allowing our activity to stretch longer over the winter months.
But best of all, total unit sales have increased by 27% – proving the power of data is something you just can’t ignore.
Awards to date:
- 2017 WARC Media Awards: Grand Prix Winner – Best Use of Data
- 2017 WARC Media Awards: Best Use of Data Special Award – Data-Driven Insights
- 2017 B&T Awards 2017: Finalist – Data-Driven Marketing
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute State Awards: Winner – Data Driven Marketing & Advertising
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute State Awards: Winner – Consumer Acquisition Marketing
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute State Awards: Winner – Marketing Communications B2C & B2B
- 2017 W3 Awards GOLD Campaigns – Marketing Effectiveness for Marketing
- 2017 W3 Awards GOLD Campaigns – Integrated Campaign for Marketing
- 2017 MFA Awards: GOLD Winner – Best Use of Data, Adtech, Analytics or Research
- 2017 MFA Awards: GOLD Winner – Best Demonstration of Short Term Results
- 2017 MFA Awards: SILVER Winner – Best Communications Strategy
- 2017 Australian Effies: GOLD Winner – Best Use of Data
- 2017 Australian Effies: SILVER Winner – Digitally Led Ideas
- 2017 APAC Effies: SILVER Winner – Programmatic
- 2017 Australian Effies: BRONZE Winner – Small Budget
- 2017 APAC Effies: BRONZE Winner – Healthcare
- 2017 Australian Effies: BRONZE Winner – Health and Wellbeing
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: GOLD Winner – Response/Real Time Data
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: SILVER Winner – Data Mining
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: BRONZE Winner – Digital Strategy
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: BRONZE Winner – Customer Intelligence
- 2017 AMY Awards: Winner – Best Digitally Led Marketing Campaign
- 2017 PRIME Awards Winner – Best Data Strategy
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute Awards: Winner – Consumer Research Insights
- 2017 Mumbrella Awards: Winner – Media Campaign of the Year
- 2016 MSiX Awards: Finalist in Best Use of Clever Data