When briefed to help drive sales for Prospan, a kids’ cough remedy, last winter, with no real brand presence and a modest budget, we knew we needed to do something special. Our solution: we created the world’s first cough predictor. Rather than competing with pharma-giant budgets to get Prospan’s name in front of mums, research showed our main competitor, was in fact apathy. It seemed most mums were reticent to medicate their children, instead assuming coughs would sort themselves out over time. Through consumer sentiment monitoring, search analysis and primary qualitative research, we discovered a window of doubt open to us: Mums were regularly questioning ‘how long to wait before taking action?’ on online parenting forums.
For our programmatic and social buy, instead of simply targeting all mums, we looked to pioneer the science behind predicting a cough – hyper-targeting only mums who were primed to take action. To do this, we overlayed first party data with social, temperature, pollution and Medicare data, and built the world’s first cough simulator. Our real-time cough predictions then dictated when media budgets should be turned on… and off.
Click-through rates have surged by over 54%, with cost per click dropping by 67% – drastically reducing media costs and allowing our activity to stretch longer over the winter months.
But best of all, total unit sales have increased by 27% – proving the power of data is something you just can’t ignore.
- 2018 WARC 100 – Top Campaign #33
- 2017 WARC Media Awards: Grand Prix Winner – Best Use of Data
- 2017 WARC Media Awards: Best Use of Data Special Award – Data-Driven Insights
- 2017 B&T Awards 2017: Finalist – Data-Driven Marketing
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute State Awards: Winner – Data Driven Marketing & Advertising
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute State Awards: Winner – Consumer Acquisition Marketing
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute State Awards: Winner – Marketing Communications B2C & B2B
- 2017 W3 Awards GOLD Campaigns – Marketing Effectiveness for Marketing
- 2017 W3 Awards GOLD Campaigns – Integrated Campaign for Marketing
- 2017 MFA Awards: GOLD Winner – Best Use of Data, Adtech, Analytics or Research
- 2017 MFA Awards: GOLD Winner – Best Demonstration of Short Term Results
- 2017 MFA Awards: SILVER Winner – Best Communications Strategy
- 2017 Australian Effies: GOLD Winner – Best Use of Data
- 2017 Australian Effies: SILVER Winner – Digitally Led Ideas
- 2017 APAC Effies: SILVER Winner – Programmatic
- 2017 Australian Effies: BRONZE Winner – Small Budget
- 2017 APAC Effies: BRONZE Winner – Healthcare
- 2017 Australian Effies: BRONZE Winner – Health and Wellbeing
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: GOLD Winner – Response/Real Time Data
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: SILVER Winner – Data Mining
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: BRONZE Winner – Digital Strategy
- 2017 Tangrams Effectiveness Awards: BRONZE Winner – Customer Intelligence
- 2017 AMY Awards: Winner – Best Digitally Led Marketing Campaign
- 2017 PRIME Awards Winner – Best Data Strategy
- 2017 Australian Marketing Institute Awards: Winner – Consumer Research Insights
- 2017 Mumbrella Awards: Winner – Media Campaign of the Year
- 2016 MSiX Awards: Finalist in Best Use of Clever Data