The Salvation Army had an ageing donor base and no connection with a younger audience. We needed to reach out to the next generation of donors in a fresh and engaging way that was relevant to them.
Our research showed the #1 trending photo category on social media for Gen Y wasn’t babies or pictures of cats, but photos of food. We realised leveraging their ‘food porn’ behaviour was a perfect vehicle to spread the word for our Give a Lunch for Christmas appeal.
- 1.3 million people were reached on social media
- Annual donations for the charity increased by over 12%
- Regular Gen Y donors increased a hundredfold
- Over $350,000 generated in free media
- 2014 Webby Awards: Honouree in Social – Public Service & Activism category
- 2013 Davey Awards: Silver in Online Advertising – B2C category
- 2013 Davey Awards: Silver in Integrated Campaign category
- 2013 ADMA Awards: Bronze in Creative Excellence – Social Media category
- 2013 AIMIA Awards: Finalist in Best Use of Social Media category
- 2012 Youtube Charity Award: Video of the Month